Thursday, November 21, 2013

“I love the person I've become, because I fought to become her”

To this day, I can distinctly remember the ‘best year of my life’ conversation my colleagues and I had at my old job in Chicago. Being 23 and fresh out of college, I could not fathom any point in life possibly topping the four years I had just experienced. I remember politely smiling and replying, “really? Twenty five?” when one of the girls, then in her 30s, said that was hands-down her best year to date.

Replaying that conversation in my mind now is a little upsetting. I was 23 and had my whole life in front of me, yet I dismissed the thought that the most enjoyable years may actually be ahead of me, not behind. I thought I had said goodbye to the best years of my life… waving farewell to them from the shore as they sailed away from the ‘real world’ I was now a part of, whether I liked it or not.

That assumption led me to be complacent with what was presented to me instead of questioning if it was what I really wanted. Although this may sound selfish, I was by no means ungrateful for my situation… I was blessed with a lot of things many people take for granted and was thankful for them every single day. I had a job, a wonderful support system of family and friends, a loving boyfriend and high hopes for the life I had planned for myself.

I was living a happy life – it just wasn’t the right happy for me.

Thinking that I had already made all of the friendships I needed, experienced all of the love I wanted and lived in all of the cities I hoped to was a false assumption. One that I didn’t realize was wrong until I started questioning it. Until I started to fight for all of the “more” that I wanted in my life.
Celebrating living on my own
for the first time ever

More friendships.
More love. 
More cities. 
More experiences.
More spontaneity.

Looking ahead of my life now I see a blank canvas ready to be painted. It is laid out wide in front of me to fill as I wish – each inch waiting to be covered with bright colors and beautiful images inspired by experiences that have yet to come.

I’ve stumbled countless times and have certainly taken my fair share of spills, but I always get back up. I know that even though the road might be rocky, I am finally on the right path. And I’m going to keep going down this path to whatever is waiting for me at the end, welcoming any encounters I make along the way with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment